In the last 3 – 4 month, I finally took the time to implement an idea that has been in my mind for years now. Admittedly, it is not a revolutionary idea, but on the one hand, I always wanted to have my own app in all app stores and on the other hand I’ve always been annoyed that there is no easy-to-use Time Tracking app. I don’t want to use a complex software to track my work, even if it’s one of the important tasks in my daily business, but it should not be in the way and keep me from my actual work. And even worse: I don’t want to use my time tracking app to track the time spend in the time tracking app itself. That would result in a deadlock and I’ll never earn money again ;-)
In my opinion most of the time tracking apps out there are way to complex and full of features I do not need. For example:
- Timers: I really do not need an accuracy down to seconds or minutes. And therefore there is no need for a timer I have to start and stop and eventually forget to start or stop. If I split up my day in hourly intervals it would be precise enough for me.
- Complex creation: If I would like to quickly track my work, I don’t want to go through complex creation dialogs first. I don’t want to setup a project first, then a task and after that I can actually track my time on that task / project.
- Reminder: An app should support me and I don’t want to remind myself to track the time. There’s a great chance that I forget to track my work and postpone the time tracking until I actually forget what I was doing.
NATTT only consists of two main screens:
- Daily view: On the daily view you just select existing tasks or create new tasks to track your work for this specific day. The most used tasks are always on top and if you select a task, it will add one or more hours of it to the day. On task creation you can also define a project this task is assigned to. The project can be used in the calendar view to filter your trackings.
- Calendar view: The calendar view is an overview of your monthly work. You see at a glance which days you have worked for 100% or less. You can also filter based on your projects and of course export this data to use it for invoicing or other reports.
NATTT is an Angular application using electron (https://electron.atom.io/) and cordova (https://cordova.apache.org/) to export applications for all devices and OS’s. Feel free to try it and leave a comment or feedback on what you think: NATTT App.